Monday, February 12, 2007

Writing things down

Yesterday I wrote down everything I planned to eat and drink during the day. I wasn't exact with it, but I tried to stay close. In the evening, something happened that made me realize why this system -- writing things down that I plan to eat rather writing it down after I eat it -- will work for me.

As I was walking through the kitchen, the husband offered me some chips. Chips are my danger food. I love chips more than any other snack food. And I said, "No thanks. Chips aren't on my list." Later in the evening, he made a bag of popcorn. Popcorn was also not on my list for the day, so I declined. In the past, I would have taken a handful of chips and a bowl of popcorn. I even checked on my desire for the last Hershey kiss in the candy jar.

It's all in the mind, but I think I'm am less likely to cheat and mindlessly graze if I am planning ahead.

No comments: