Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday. On my list of food to eat I made a note: feel free to indulge today! I also wrote down "one or more donuts." In my culture, Fat Tuesday is called Donut Day and when I was a kid, the lunch ladies served fastnacht donuts with the meal. Only day of the year we got donuts with school lunch. I even made sure I had a donut in New Orleans at Mardi Gras (well, and a beignet, too). It was my first and only taste of a Krispy Kreme, which was nasty. Way too sweet.

Anyway, as I was getting my donut, I was thirsty for a cream soda for some reason, so I did what I haven't done in years. I bought a full calorie soda. I almost always drink diet on the rare occasions I drink soda. And I bought a bag of munchies. I splurged.

Today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. I always fast for Lent. Today it means eating only one full meal and one smaller one, but throughout the rest of Lent, I give up snacking and eat only healthy foods, which I found is very purifying both in body and soul.

I went to kickboxing class yesterday. I didn't have a chance to weigh myself because I was rushed on my both ends of class. Probably a good thing. I am very bloated right now. Jeans that fit a little snug a week ago are almost impossible to button this week. I've not been good about drinking water lately either, which doesn't help. I can always feel the difference if I am drinking less water than I should be.

Ash Wednesday mass tonight, then choir, then hopefully the gym to do a little bit of lifting.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I gave up alcohol for lent again this year. It's always good for losing 5 pounds without trying.