Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Where Does the Time Go?

Time gets away from me. Real life has stepped up big time.

I had one of those surreal life and death moments on Saturday. The Princess is 8 months pregnant and we had her baby shower on Saturday afternoon. You know how baby showers are. They are so full of hope for the future. I remember when I was pregnant with her and with Junior and how I had so many dreams for them. I wondered what sort of person they'd be. I'm not sure either kid has come close to my over-active imagination, but I can't complain. Too much. The truth is, they ended up a lot like their parents. I don't know about you, but when I dream and pray for my kids, they don't turn out anything like me, at least not any of my flaws. The kids nailed the flaws.

Driving home, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I couldn't get it out to answer it in time. I saw that it was my Best Friend. She was supposed to be at the shower but she was home sick. At first I thought she was calling to see how the shower went, but thought it odd she'd call my cell to do that. So then I worried that something happened to one of her kids or to her husband. I tried to call her back, but we were in a bad reception area. I waited until I got home. There was a message on my machine. I figured it was BF. Instead, it was someone from our bowling league. One of our league members died of a heart attack that morning -- he was not only a league bowler, but his wife bowled on his team and his son, daughter-in-law, and daughter bowled on other teams in the league. I saw him on Monday night. He was joking around as usual. Who would have thought that was it.

A day where we got to celebrate the hope of life ends with the stark reminder that life leads to death.

In the weight loss/better health report: the cereal "diet" is hard when you have to meet people for lunch or go to a party. Although I've been trying to eat a bowl of cereal for lunch each day, and I've eliminated virtually all unhealthy snack food from the pantry. Soon we'll be past leftover season. That will help too. I've not been to the gym much the past two weeks either, in part because of my weird schedule. I would have gone on Friday, but I was expecting a friend to arrive from out of town. Instead, she called at 7 to say she had just left after having dinner with her husband and she'd arrive around 10. By then, our evening was all messed up and the gym was out. I did, however, do gardening on Sunday and spent 15 minutes walking on my step and 15 minutes on abs.

No comments: